maanantai 24. lokakuuta 2011

18th century mitts

I love accessories, so when I found myself with a small piece of leftover leather, I was thrilled to discover it would be just enough for a pair of mitts. I wanted fancy silk mitts so I made the top layer from cream silk taffeta, but the leather worked wonderfully as a lining and made them sturdy and very warm.  I apologize for the blurry quality of some the pictures.











The construction:

I made the top layer from cream silk taffeta. I attached the thumb and made the wrist slit. Then I turned under all raw edges and top stitched them with herringbone stitch. I top stitched also the thumb seam.


Then I made a similar leather lining, just without the pointed tip, and whip stitched it to the silk around all edges. Then I closed the wrist slit by fagoting.


I lined the tip with blue silk taffeta and closed the side seam by fagoting and they were finished.

The finished mitt inside out.



10 kommenttia:

  1. Beautiful work, great colors, and excellent fit! Well done! :D

    VastaaPoista
  2. I love them! Thank you for the construction tipps :)

    VastaaPoista
  3. Amazing! The fit is fabulous, and the workmanship exquisite!

    VastaaPoista
  4. How beautiful and thank you for sharing such detailed photos!
    Congrats on your award:)

    Sabine

    VastaaPoista
  5. As with everything you make, they are both gorgeous, and exquisitely constructed!

    VastaaPoista