sunnuntai 29. syyskuuta 2013

1760's hair

Hair has always been the hardest part for me when getting dressed in historical clothing. I've always admired the hairstyles in the mid-century Louis Carrogis Carmontelle drawings but they've always looked very intimidating. Luckily I took part in Kendra's hairstyle lecture at Costume College and she had a way of explaining the style, a raised tête de mouton, that made me think I could maybe manage it after all. An 18th century ball at Tampere became the perfect excuse to try it out. I pinned a false hair rat on my head and pulled my hair on a ponytail on top of it. Then I used the ponytail to make a row of small rolls across my head and arrange it behind the rolls so that you can't see through them. I thought I could manage doing it myself, but I have to admit that the rolls were arranged by my husband. A little hair powder finished the look. It turned out a little wider than I had hoped, but overall I was happy with it. 


A Carmontelle pose.











33 kommenttia:

  1. I love. I love. I love. I love. I love. I love. I love. I love. I love.
    You look gorgeous, wonderful, beautiful and more... I simply love your new hairstyle! :)

    VastaaPoista
  2. Once again amazing! You truly do not need to fear doing hairdos - mission completed: bravissima!!!
    It turns out fantastic! And I'm speechless that it's all your own hair without any hairpiece addition! Wow!
    Perfect photo session - thanks for sharing and always being an inspiration!

    Sabine

    VastaaPoista
  3. It looks so great!! I love it! I whish I can do the same.
    One word : perfect! :)

    VastaaPoista
  4. Serenissima!! Gorgeous marriage of silk color, hair color and style. WHERE ARE THE MOVIE CAMERAS??? Thanks for this posting.
    Nancy N

    VastaaPoista
  5. Amazing! You're lucky to have a husband who's handy with hair! Very rare!
    You look like a painting come to life!

    VastaaPoista
  6. Absolutely lovely gown, and your hair looks fantastic! So beautiful.

    Best,
    Quinn

    VastaaPoista
  7. Beautiful! I love your restrained style. The cream gown is wonderful, and your hair turned out lovely too.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Hi Hillary!! So funny (although not surprising) that you follow her, too!

      Poista
  8. beautiful dress and beautiful hair!

    VastaaPoista
  9. Oh beautiful! Just like a movie, I agree! LOVE IT!

    Ruth

    VastaaPoista
  10. It looks amazing! I always have trouble with hair too, especially hair that involves rats. It's so hard to get curls to sit where they are supposed to. Thank you for explaining how it's done!

    VastaaPoista
  11. Having seen it in person, it was perfection itself! It was so nice to meet and chat, hope to see you soon again!
    -Noora-

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you so much! And it was wonderful to meet you properly. I'm sure we'll meet again soon.

      Poista
  12. I linked to you from my facebook page. I think what you do is fabulous!

    VastaaPoista
  13. Amazing as always! You look like a queen, Merji! :)
    ~Theresa

    VastaaPoista
  14. So Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    VastaaPoista