sunnuntai 1. joulukuuta 2013

1780's shoes

I have always loved the pink and black high heeled shoes in The Bata Shoe Museum's collection. I didn't aim to do a reproduction pair but I wanted to keep the main features, the color, the pointed toe and the high heels. As for the most obvious differences, I wanted to make mine without embroidery and with randed construction. It's a little old fashioned technique for 1780's but I have seen surviving examples of fashionable randed late 18th century shoes

My husband carved me the quirky tilted heels from wood and I made the uppers with silk satin and linen, bound with silk paduasoy ribbon. Toe boxes are reinforced with leather. Soles and rands are of leather. The shoes are hand stitched with linen and silk thread.













The shoes worn with my silk stockings and garters.


















Construction:

Heels ready.


Stitching the uppers.



Stitching the insoles with uppers and rand.


The rand ready to be stitched to the outsole and heel cover in place.


The heel in place.


After this stage the outsoles were stitched on through the rand and the edge of the heel cover. The stitches run in a groove cut along the edge of the outsoles.



18 kommenttia:

  1. These are exceptionally beautiful! They look particularly nice with your stocking! Where did you get your silk ribbon?

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you very much! I got it from Burnley & Trowbridge Co.

      Poista
  2. Just wow! They are so unique and beautiful! Just wow... :)

    Best,
    Quinn

    VastaaPoista
  3. Oh...my...word!!! You never cease to amaze me with your wonderful wealth of talent! I love these shoes...nooooo...works of art you have created! Do you think if I stand next to you some of your talent will rub off on me?

    Blessings!
    Gina

    VastaaPoista
  4. So this is how December started? Well, can it get any better?
    Thank you very much for sharing this astonishing pair of shoes with us (plus construction/progress pictures) It's almost magical to see how your skills get better and better.
    I wonder how do these shoes (with that amazing heels) feel on the feet - how do they work when worn for a longer time, do they change your way of walking?
    And now I have to scroll up and down the picture gallery some more :)
    Sabine

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you so much!

      They have felt comfortable for the time I've worn them and I suspect they are comfortable enough for a day of some strolling and lazy socializing. I suspect the pointy toe to become uncomfortable if you are spending the entire day on your feet and walking around a lot. The heel hight is something I'm very used to in my everyday life so I think I'm walking somewhat naturally in them. But I think I'm going to have to ask my husband if I'm doing something funny while walking in them. :)

      Poista
  5. I really can't say something! It's more that reconstruction, it's better that original- you are simply great!

    VastaaPoista
  6. Those heels are awesome! They look a lot like original museum exhibits. Are they really as uncomfy as they say in the books?

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you very much! They are surprisingly comfortable but I can imagine the pointy toe getting uncomfortable if I had to spend a long day on my feet.

      Poista
  7. They may not meet your own standard, but they are really beautiful and I love the heel shape!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you! My husband did a great job carving the heels.

      Poista
  8. These are delightful! They have so much character too! I'm still working on my first pair of 18th century shoes and I'm having the hardest time stitching the heel covers. I'd like try a rand construction some time in the future as I really like the finished look with the little strip of white peaking through. Are you using any kind of wooden last for your shoes?
    -Emily

    Emily's Vintage Visions

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you!

      Heel covers are the worst...
      I don't have a proper last. My "last" is of cork and dreadfully ugly. :) But I've managed with it so far.

      Poista
  9. These are absolutely beautiful! I wish I had your talent! Great job!

    Ruth

    VastaaPoista