sunnuntai 14. huhtikuuta 2013

A masquerade dress and a truly scary mask

I'm currently awfully busy trying to make my ambitiously planned Costume College wardrobe happen and when the accomplished people of Tampere announced that they were going to be hosting an 18th century masquerade, I knew I couldn't even think about making anything new to wear. Or even re-trim an old one. But I didn't want to pass an opportunity to do some period dancing. And, more importantly, to see friends who are scattered so far all around Finland that they might as well be living abroad. 

So the dress had to come from my existing wardrobe. I chose the black round gown because the severity of the color makes it one of my most unusual 18th century gowns and so, perhaps, most masquerade-like. 

I also struggled with coming up with an idea for a mask. A thought of a fancy, flirty and decorative mask didn't sound tempting at all to me this time. So I turned to 18th century portraits for inspiration and I chose a simple black moretta mask. I bought a cheap leather version and cut it a little smaller and the eye holes larger to look more like the ones seen in the portraits. Then I tried it on and it looked so freaky and scary that I almost chickened out of wearing it. But with no plan B, it had to do. 

And here it is, 18th century minimalism with a touch of spookiness. 





And now, brace yourselves.





Luckily the other guests had had more time to get ready and make costumes and there were many detailed, cute, exotic, alluring and funny ones for us to admire. And I did get to dance. And met friends. Heard all kinds of wonderful things. And got to talk all the piled up costume things with Sanna (Rococo Atelier, you all know her for sure) whom I hadn't seen in ages. And the food was excellent. 

I tried taking a few pictures, but low lighting and dancing people made them too blurry.

Big thanks to everyone who made the event happen. And apologies for not "concealing my identity" for the entire evening. The mask was a bit impractical for eating, drinking and socializing. 


This was the first wearing for my new rump and now I have pictures to demonstrate how it looks on me. I'm wearing it with one linen petticoat under the gown in the pictures above. And here it is with just the petticoat.



22 kommenttia:

  1. I love that dress. I'd wear that now, but perhaps without the rump. Lovely.

    VastaaPoista
  2. Totally loved that cute curly wig! And hey, the mask doesn't actually look as scary in the photos as it looks in real life... It was so nice to get to see you again because that really happens too rarely. By the way, my big toe is bruised now... But thanks to my clumsiness we had an excuse to talk a lot. ;)

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Oh no, your poor toe! But I it was so nice to have more time to talk. I'm so bummed now that I didn't get your message in time. We would have had even more time to gossip and your gown was so pretty that it would have been great to do some pre-masquerade photographing.

      Poista
    2. Oh well, maybe we'll be wiser next time we get to meet so we can plan early and arrange something then. :) And I kind of have a love-hate relationship with that dress... Are you planning on travelling to the Svartsjö ball btw? I'm not sure yet but I'll know more on Wednesday.

      Poista
    3. I really wanted to go, but it looks like I won't be able to get the Friday off at work. :(
      It sounds like it's going to be amazing.

      Poista
  3. What gorgeous, striking colours for the dress! Lovely!

    VastaaPoista
  4. A gorgeous dress: mysterious, dark and yet so regal looking! Your whole appearance in the dress with the mask feels so 'real' as if a painting comes alive.
    Love it...and the only thing, which is a bit scary is, that each of your dresses is simply perfect - lol ;)

    Sabine

    VastaaPoista
  5. Ah, this gown is so wonderful, so gorgeous, so beautiful... I love it! :)
    You look great! :)

    VastaaPoista
  6. Wait you are coming to costume college???.!!,!,!jnnshbdtbdgbhbsh aieeeeeee!!,!,!,!,,!mjms!!

    Second, love the shape that your rump gives you!!

    3rd, that wig seriously rocks! What is the base color (it looks like you powdered it?)?

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I am!!! Finally!!! I can't even tell how excited I am!!!!

      And I'm very happy with the shape as well. Thank you so much for sharing the article!

      The wig was super easy. It was grayish blonde to begin with and the fiber is so matte that it looked powdered even before I sprayed very little hair powder on it. It's the same Lioness wig that Jen Thompson had great success with and I think it this one was sold with color code 102. I have it in another color too, but the fiber in it is a lot shinier.


      Poista
  7. this is a lovely Georgian gown! the rump looks fantastic, and will be a great easy project i think. you've inspired me to start creating pieces from this time frame. do you use any patterns for your clothes or do you freehand it?

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you!

      I usually base my patterns on the books like the ones by Norah Waugh or Janet Arnold or sometimes I draft them myself.

      Poista
  8. can you tell me where you bought the basic mask from? I want to make a moretta for venetian carnival. I have a real venetian moretta but it doenst quite fit my face right so i want ot alter one.

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I got the mask from here: http://www.maskworld.com/english
      I needed to modify it from the original round, small eyed and flat shape but it was easy to do with scissors, black paint and water.

      Poista
  9. Where did you get the mask from? I have been trying to find one

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I got the mask from here: http://www.maskworld.com/english
      I needed to modify it from the original round, small eyed and flat shape but it was easy to do with scissors, black paint and water.

      Poista