sunnuntai 8. joulukuuta 2013

1770's -1780's accessories

My most recent project, robe à la Polonaise à coqueluchon, is a day dress and I wanted to accessorize it accordingly. I needed a new hat, elbow length gloves and I also wanted equipage. I couldn't justify purchasing any of those gorgeous reproduction equipage that are available. Facing the option of making my own, I was inspired by the mismatched pearly equipage that Marie Antoinette is carrying in the 1785 Wertmüller portrait.


Mine are just quickly strung together and not nearly as fancy. And I don't have a proper reproduction 18th century style pocket watch to wear with it. But regardless, it's nice to have these to add a little more life in the outfit.


The hat is a buckram hat with a wired brim. It's covered with white silk and decorated with strips of striped silk taffeta. It's hand sewn the same was as all my previous buckram hats so I didn't bother with construction photos.



The gloves are made of leather. These are stitched together by whip stitching the seams from the underside. 




12 kommenttia:

  1. Oh WOW! lol You should go into the accessories making business ;) I love your stuff! Post pics of the day dress, please! LOL I adore all your clothes (and little accessories)

    Love,

    Ruth

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you very much! And if weather stays good for next weekend, I'll get dressed and post about the dress. :)

      Poista
  2. Those gloves are lovely Merji! I've tried to make gloves before but they didn't turn out properly. Those pearly things do look quite cute! One of my favorite things about your sewing is how you can copy paintings...it still amazes me. I can't wait to see the outfit all together :)
    ~Theresa

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you very much! I'm sorry that this blog has been so quiet for over a month now, but today I finally had a chance to tell more about the dress.

      And maybe you should give the gloves another try one day. I think they make a fun and quick project and a great way to get new gloves without spending a lot of money.

      Poista
  3. Here's another one who can't wait to see the complete outfit! :-)

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. I took my time, but now I finally had a chance to dress up properly. :)

      Poista
  4. Wait, I'm so jealous that you made your own gloves. That's pretty genius really. Was it hard to find the appropriate weight leather? I imagine you could make multiple pairs from a medium-ish piece. Hm... You've got my brain wheels turning!

    Best,
    Quinn

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you! I have a good leather shop nearby that carries all kinds of weights of leather. And you often can make several pairs from one hide. Long evening gloves can eat up an entire hide if it's small and there are a lot of spots you need to avoid, but I usually end up with leftover pieces.

      Poista
  5. I am also impressed with the gloves! My ancestors were glove makers in a little town in New York State called (naturally) Gloversville! I have always been fascinated by the old gloves I find in flea markets and I have several pair. Maybe someday Ill take one of them apart and copy them. Thanks for this lovely post full of your beautiful detail work!

    VastaaPoista
    Vastaukset
    1. Thank you very much! And with your family history, you must give it a try. :)

      Poista
  6. I just found your blog and I am so impressed I am speechless. Your skills are amazing! I wish you were my personal seamstress!

    VastaaPoista